Monday 11 November 2013

Beach combing For Inspiration


 In this section I am using my knowledge of BSR films to pick out aspects that I would like to include in my own film.


An example I would like to use is the location of Shifty. I like the effect of the rough estate and vandalized walls filled with graffiti. It gives the film a more gritty and realistic effect.



I would also like to include some characters that subvert the general stereotype like the mother in Fish Tank. As a stereotypical mother you would expect her to be loving, caring and sweet, However she is violent and cold towards her children.



The football factory had a major theme of violence and I would like to include the theme of violence in my film. There is a funny fight scene that is a bit more light hearted and comical which I would not like to really input, I would like to use the sinister, dark violence.



Trainspotting is a film I would like to take a lot out of as it is a good example of a BSR film. There is a major theme of drugs where the main character is a heavy drug taker. I think drugs play a big part in a typical BSR film.


I would also like to include the theme of aspiration and escape. Even though it is a typical theme in a BSR film, it is not show a lot. I think I would be able to make a good opening start using aspiration.




I would like to have a similar typography that KiDULTHOOD has. I really like the 'childish' effect of the title being uppercase letters with the 'i' being lowercase. The colours are basic, a contrast of black and white which is simple, like the bold font.




Another think I would like to use in Kidulthood is the costumes of the characters. I think that they represent the characters well. They all wear baggy tracksuits, baseball caps and thick jackets. I would definitely include this type of costume in my film as it is typical of a BSR film.  I think the use of this type of clothing emphasizes the realism of the BSR genre. So I would definitely include characters wearing these type of clothing to make my film more believable and real.




I want to make sure that I use natural lighting throughout my film. Bullet boy is a prime example of a film that does this. I believe that natural lighting makes the film more believable and realistic



I would use the soundtrack for Kidulthood because the songs in there are Urban and youthful. In particular I warmed up to a track (The instrumental video is below). It is by Klashkekoff- It's Murda. I like the urban vibe, with subtle piano playing which makes the song more tense and adds a sort of sinister feeling.




Another songs that I would not mind using is Ruff Squad- Together. From both of my soundtrack options I haven't chosen generic, basey, noisy dirty songs. I want to use a clear urban track with subtle instruments to add a tense atmosphere. (0.20- 1.00)



I also would like to typography similar to the film Shank. I think that the typography of it displays that the film is of a BSR genre because it is gritty. I like the effect that they have used the silhouette of the man on the letter A. 


Generic locations that I would like to include is a grubby chicken shop for example like the one below. There are a lot in the gritty Urban areas and seeing a lot of the sort of people we see in BSR films hang around and eat in there because it's cheap, good, fast food. This gave me the inspiration to maybe involve a chicken shop in my shots when I a displaying the location.

This is another great location that I think would look great in my BSR movie. It is a run down street, with the windows boarded up and the street looking grubby. I think that this will emphasize the reality of the film as it is the sort of run down building that you would see in the urban gritty areas that could be used as a hide out for a gang.

This is Ashley Walters who plays the main character in Bullet boy. His character is very good and someone that I would like to input in my film. He plays the generic thug that you see in a BSR film. Through him being released from prison and the way he dresses with hoodies and tracksuit.


I would also like to include a sort of gritty looking police station. The theme of authority would be a good theme to play on in my film so including a police station would emphasise the realism as the police are seen a lot in the urban gritty street areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment