Sunday 13 October 2013

How British Social Realism themes are used

In the lesson we discussed the common themes of a British Social Realism film.

The first theme I will analyse is Violence in 'The Football Factory- Billy and Fred fight' (0.40-1.55)



This scene starts heated between the two characters. They are two managers for a children's football team however they are using very bad swear words, dishing out insults at each other. Also towards the end of this scene they both physically fight violently. The theme of violence is clearly represented through the violent physical fighting between the two men. This is unnatural behavior especially in front of kids and the sear words/insults they were dishing out was also very harsh and rude. I may use this sort of technique in my work. To explore the theme of violence I may include both physical and verbal violence as both are effective.

The other Theme I have analysed s Aspiration and Escape in 'Fish Tank- Mia Dance scene' (7.40-9.40)




The theme of escape and aspiration is evidently displayed in this scene. She wants to dance and at the start when she looks out and see's people arguing and the gritty urban setting she puts the music on to escape and block it out. Dancing is her aspiration and she has an audition she has to prepare for. The theme is represented throughout by her determination to perfect her moves. This connotes that she wants a career as a dancer and wants to leave the gritty, horrible conditions herself and her mother are living in. I think that this theme would be a good theme to explore in my own work. It will allow me to focus on a main character and it will allow me to make the settings the character is living in really harsh to emphasise the struggle.

The third theme I looked at Drug abuse/experimentation in 'Trainspotting -Opening Sequence'




The theme of drug intake is very clearly indicated in the opening sequence of this. He smokes drugs and at the end says 'who needs family when you've got heroin'. The way this film represents drugs is in a good way that you don't need a life, if you have drugs you will enjoy life. This is shown through the dialogue voice over. I may use this in my work. Usually they would show drug use in a good way, that it is fun and normal but I may twist it and show the bad effects and the reality of taking drugs.

The next theme I looked at was sexuality in 'My Beautiful Launderette- Trailer'


The theme of sexuality is clearly displayed in the trailer. It is a Muslim family opening a launderette in a white community, obviously causing racial indifference. However the main character finds love in a white man which does not go down well with the white community. Sexuality is represented as very bad. The fact that the white guy is being seen with the Muslim family causes anger and disputes. The fact that they are having a secret relationship is even worse. I may explore the theme of sexuality in my work. I would represent it the same way this film has like the people in the relationship find it good however the people around will not be happy at all.

The last theme I looked at was religion in 'Yasmin'  (0.20-2.25)


The theme of religion is instantly shown in this scene. The cal to prayer for Muslim's is being recited and no one is really too bothered. Racial injustice is also evidently shown through the graffiti on the old mans garage. Te main character 'Yasmin' is one of the people who is not too bothered about the call to prayer but more interested in rebelling against her culture to fit into the current society. Religion is represented as unimportant in this film. But also it displays a sort of patriotic view from Islam that could foreshadow friction between Muslims and Christians. I think that this will be a good theme to explore. One way I could explore this is setting a scene in a or outside a mosque or church depending on my character.

No comments:

Post a Comment