Monday 23 September 2013

Continuity Editing Exercise

Continuity Editing Exercise 

We were given a scenario to work on. "A character opens a door, crosses a room and sits down in a chair opposite another character, with whom he/she then exchanges a couple lines of dialogue". We used this scenario to come up with an idea. Our plot is about a pregnant woman losing here baby after a fatal fall down the stairs.


In this task we were told to demonstrate our knowledge and understanding of match on action- A cut between two parallel actions are mirrored in order to create a strong relationship between two shots. This creates the impression of a sense of continuity- the action carrying through creates a ‘visual bridge’ which draws the viewers’ attention away from slight cutting or continuity issues.



 Shot/reverse shot- A shot from one character to the next and back to the first character. I used Shot/reverse shot to display that there is a conversation between the two conversation and also so the audience can see the facial expressions of the character to emphasise the emotions I aimed to portray.
                                              
The principle of the 180-degree rule- Stay filming behind one side of the shots. I used the match on action shot when our pregnant character was about to sit down and the shot in a different view of her actually sitting down.  I ensured we used the 180 degree rule correctly to make the shits fluid and correct to prevent confusion for the viewers.



I also ensured we kept to the rule of thirds. This makes the shot more presentable and slick displaying our work professionally.The rule of thirds is applied by aligning a subject with the guide lines and their intersection points, placing the horizon on the top or bottom line, or allowing linear features in the image to flow from section to section.


I worked with Damanjyot as we are good friends and I was certain we would come out with a decent end result working together. I believe that the group was successful, at time we would go off track but I was stern on keeping on time whereas Damanjyot focused on the drama action. As Damanjyot took drama she made the actor/actress very believable with their facial expressions and body language whereas I took media studies for GCSE last year I used the camera shots and the eye line match rule to make the shots slick and presentable. I used my skills and creativity well in this project. Through watching examples and hearing what my peers plot choices were I wanted to go through a different route. Most examples I watched were happy, funny and positive but I wanted my project to be different, so I made our story dark, sad and tense. It is a risk but I'm always willing to try out new things and I won't stop until I know it's perfected.

The storyboard we created was very good help. When creating it we ensured that it was clear what was happening in the shot to make the filming process simple.We created a first storyboard which didn't include the relevant shots required to create tension and portray the emotion we intended. We changed a couple shots from a long shot to a mid shot so we can see clear facial expressions. We stuck to the majority of what we started with. The images below are my storyboard in chronological order.






No comments:

Post a Comment